With the holidays fast approaching, it’s that time of the year where most will indulge in a few extra sweets and treats. It’s hard to say no to hot cocoa, homemade cookies, or a delicious homemade pie after a big Thanksgiving feast. That said, the holidays aren’t the best time for your oral health. But your teeth don’t necessarily need to suffer just because of all the holiday treats!
Trapnell Orthodontics is proud to provide a variety of orthodontic services to those throughout Utah County. Further, we strive to provide all the educational material possible so that you can maintain sound oral health regardless of the setting or occasion. If you’re interested in orthodontics with Trapnell, don’t hesitate to contact us today! Otherwise, keep reading to learn our hygiene tips for the holidays!
Oral Hygiene Tips for the holidays!
- Avoid Sticky, Chewy Desserts: Especially for those of you with braces, avoiding sticky candies like caramel is important, as it can damage your brackets and archwires. Further, these types of sweets tend to linger on or between our teeth for a long time, which can lead to decay.
- Visit With Your Dentist and Orthodontist: Sure, the holidays are busy, but there’s never a better time to visit your dentist and orthodontist. Checking in with your orthodontist right after the holidays is important to ensure your braces aren’t damaged, and the dentist can ensure your smile stays bright, healthy, and beautiful!
- Substitute Sweet Treats With Fresh Fruit: Consider swapping extra sweet desserts with fresh fruit. Peaches and yogurt or fresh strawberries are delicious and much healthier for your oral and overall health.
- Brush Your Teeth After Eating Dessert: Regardless of the dessert, make sure to brush your teeth right after you indulge. Residual sugar around your teeth and gums will invite harmful bacteria.
- Flossing is More Important Than Ever!: You should floss every day, and it’s important not to forget this crucial step throughout the holiday season! Flossing can get at plaque and tartar hidden between teeth.
Contact Trapnell for Orthodontics in Utah!
If you’re seeking orthodontics in Utah County, look no further than Trapnell! We have a number of orthodontic offices across the valley. Contact us today to schedule a consultation! You can find information on each of our offices here.